Department: Learning Commons
Supervisor: Rachel Kennedy
To provide tutoring services to the Bethel University student body to help facilitate independent student learning and enhance students’ study skills.
Tutoring Positions Open for 2023-2024 Academic Year:
Please note that we do not hire tutors to tutor in a single class; for example, to tutor in PSYCH 182 requires more than an A in the course – you must also tutor other psychology courses. To be hired, you must have received an A in the classes which you would tutor and a professor in your major must recommend your hire.
By filling out this application, you are not guaranteed an interview; we may or may not have a position open within your discipline.
Essential Job Functions:
- To commit to scheduled hours within the Learning Commons by being prompt and faithful in covering shifts. In an emergency, to find an appropriate substitute to cover the shift while informing the assistant manager or LC Manager of any schedule changes.
- To address any challenges or issues that arise with the assistant manager or LC Manager.
- To listen and respect each student’s privacy, creative process and perspective.
- To offer constructive guidance as appropriate.
- To participate in monthly scheduled tutor training sessions.
- To promote the services of the Learning Commons as appropriate: i.e. chapel announcements, class presentations, workshop development, etc.
- Assist students with general Learning Commons’ needs: i.e. printer jams, making copies, restocking printer paper, wireless printing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least a second semester freshmen with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must have an “A” in classes you tutor (For writing tutors: must have completed Written Communications III)
- Must demonstrate excellent writing skills or competency in desired subject area
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint programs
- Must have a written recommendation from a faculty member
- Must be responsible and have the ability to work independently
- Must consider working as a tutor a ministry to be conducted with passion, strength and intelligence