Intern Job Title: Student Spiritual Life Intern
Internship Supervisor Name: Tom Carpenter
The Spiritual Life Intern (SLI) is a position that provides a learning experience for the student who desires to help others grow in their faith with Jesus through building personal relationships with other students, staff, and faculty members. They are part of the campus Spiritual Life team and help promote and execute various opportunities for spiritual growth among their peers. The SLI serves as a representative of the University and is expected to live out the Christian life with character and integrity alongside residents, faculty, staff, administration, and the surrounding community.
The SLI serves in a student leadership position that holds certain expectations and requirements as described below. Students who are chosen to be a SLI – and who accept this responsibility – are expected to commit wholeheartedly in each of these areas for the duration of the school year.
Responsibilities and Committments
- SLI’s oversee various spiritual growth opportunities across campus through their primary responsibility of giving oversight and leadership to the Bethel University Student Spiritual Life Team.
- Leadership of the team includes: administration of events/details, communication with, pastoral care for, and shepherding of the students on the team, in addition to leading weekly meetings for the team.
- Spiritual growth opportunities the team will create for the campus include (but not limited to):
- Helping with Midweek Small Groups
- Scripture 66
- Collegiate Day of Prayer
- Spiritual Emphasis Weeks Events
- Worship Nights
- Prayer Walks and Groups
- Other partner events with Student Life
- The SLI meets weekly with the Associate Director for Community Life
Qualifications and Specifics
- Applicants understand that the SLI commitment extends for the duration of the 2023-2024 school year.
- SLI must have an active faith in Jesus and be intentional to continue growing their relationship with Jesus throughout the school year.
- Each SLI will maintain the GPA listed below in the Internship requirements and must remain in good standing with the University regarding academic, social, and financial obligations. Failure to maintain these expectations may result in probation or dismissal from the position.
- The SLI position is a partnership with the the Bethel University Career and Internship Services, which also has requirements that the SLI will need to fulfill.
- SLIs are to work approximately 5 hours a week, for a maximum of 75 hours a semester.
Internship will commence the week of August 21, 2023 and conclude on May 2, 2024.
BETHEL UNIVERSITY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Bethel University Intern Program is an initiative designed to provide traditional students with practical knowledge through meaningful work experiences. Students participating in these internships will work closely with individual supervisors to enhance and support their assigned department. Students will participate in various career development opportunities, including resume coaching and a Leadership Project to be completed and presented by the end of the school year. Employers prefer to see internships on a résumé and desire the skills gained from these experiences. Internships are available within participating Bethel University Departments.
What is an Internship?
An internship is a mentored work experience with an educational focus tied to the student’s course work within their major. Typically, an internship is available for one or two semesters. They average 10 hours per week for 14 weeks per semester for a maximum of 150 hours, however exact hours will vary based on the hiring department. The Bethel University Internship Program is a paid student worker program.
To be eligible to apply for an internship you must meet the following requirements:
- Full-time traditional student in good standing
- Minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA and not on academic probation
- Declared major related to the internship
- May be required to possess specific competencies or skills to qualify for internship
- Must submit cover letter and resume along with application form.